Yesterday I accepted an eight hour job with Task Rabbit. The way my morning has started is the exact reason I don’t want to go back into the workforce.
Here’s how my day has started so far.
1) work up at 5:00 a.m. I was really too tired to read but I managed to read 2 or 3 pages of my current book.
2) 6:00 a.m. I spent 45 minutes getting ready for work. I had instant coffee. Sat down at the computer from 6:20 a.m. until 6:35 a.m. trying to find a MeetUp, or networking event
to go to after work (found nothing).
3) 6:45 a.m. Left the house, walked to Dunkin Donuts and bought a cheese twist bagel for $1.43. ( I could save money here if I had bought breakfast food)
4) 7:00 a.m. Bus arrived. Crowded, having to stand up until Orange line stop.
5) 7:28 a.m. Arrived at Van Buren & Halsted.
6) 8:00 a.m. Arrived at my location. No one there. Called Task master, emailed Task Master, re-read start time. Realized I was an hour early.
7) 8:30 a.m. Sitting in a small Starbucks blogging, watching a morning crowd stand in line to pay for overpriced coffee because they’re too busy to make at home or their office doesn’t supply free coffee (or Starbucks coffee).
8) I spent the morning putting 100 gift cards in promo boxes and testing 200+ resistors and packing them in bubble wrap.
What a boring job. I was given 30 minutes for lunch (includes walking to and back to work and ordering in line). Thank you very much Corporate America.
9) 5:00 p.m. Today’s experience is why I never want to go back into the job market. I worked 7 1/2 hours without a break at 15 minute break. I had multiple task and they told me when to take lunch.
10) 5:51 p.m. Finished shopping for food. 5 lbs bag of rice, oatmeal, 3 cans of tuna. $10.00